"To know Christ, and make Christ known."
Our vision statement inspires everything we do. FPC is a place where questions can be asked, and the truth will be explored. It's a place where love rules and the message of Jesus Christ is proclaimed and enacted. It's not the most creative vision statement in the world, but keeps our community focused on what really matters. It is simple. It is the Gospel.
The church was founded on April 10, 1812, near Murfree Spring in what was to become known as the town of Murfreesboro. The original church building was erected in what is now part of the Old City Cemetery on Vine Street and was used during the War Between the States as a hospital, first by Confederates and then Union forces. The original building was destroyed. A new building site was chosen and a building erected in 1867. It was damaged in the 1913 tornado, and major repairs and design changes were made to the roof and structure. The work was completed by 1914. The office area and Sunday school rooms were added in 1959. A new common room with additional classrooms, parlor, elevator and kitchen was completed in 1998. The church held a Bicentennial Celebration in 2012 to commemorate its 200th year in Murfreesboro.